When creating custom SharePoint webparts using features, the ICON to show within the Site Collection Feature page is often forgotten, or developers just don’t bother with it – and leave it as the default one.
The following shows some “Out Of The Box” icons – and the Telerik icon – with the little green pencil on the right-hand side.
If you want to include a custom icon – here’s how to do it – very simple !
(1) Create an image to use
- The image that will be included is best to be 31 x 21 in size.
- Here’s some example ones, that you can take & use if you want – or simply create your own.
(2) Include the image in the solution
- Within your Visual Studio project (using WSPBuilder, of course !), you will need to create an IMAGES folder
- This is then copied into the 12 hive, when the feature is deployed.
(3) Add to FEATURE.XML file
- Just need to add the “ImageUrl” property in the FEATURE.XML
(4) Build & deploy the WSP
That’s all that’s needed !!
You should now have a custom logo/icon when you view the features within “Site Features” – or “Site Collection Features” (as shown below)
Easy, eh ? A quick way to differentiate your features from the OOTB ones – or to identify your company within the big list of features.