When showing a SharePoint Calendar control, the default view is the big “grid” of events.
But – there is another “view” that shows each item listed as with other SharePoint lists :
What would be nice is to have a group by “MONTH” so that you can have a text view, but easier to navigate.
Here’s what you need to do :
- Click Settings > List Settings
- Click Create Column
- Enter a column name – eg. Month And Year
- Change the Column Type to be “calculated”
- Enter the formula as follows – basically formatting into YYYY-MMM format
Now that the column is in place, it can be used in a “GROUP BY”.
- Click on the View drop-down
- Choose Create View
- Click Standard View
- Enter a name for the View (eg. By Month)
- Scroll down to the section for “Group By”
- Expand, and choose the new column
- Click OK to save the View details
The view should then display the list of events – grouped/sorted BY MONTH :
Nice, eh ?