With the move to be more standards compliant within SP2010, specifically targeting Accessibility (AA / WCAG / etc), there are some keyboard shortcuts that exist within SharePoint 2010.
This is implemented using the “accesskey” HTML tag – within a specific markup node :
If needing to use a browser without a mouse, these are vital – and saves TAB-TAB-TAB’ing around the page.
Most developers loooove a good keyboard shortcut – so I had a look at the ‘view source’ for the standard SharePoint home page :
Most of these simply ‘jump you’ to a specific item on the page – remember that you have to use ALT+X (for example) to select the specific item – and then ENTER to do the ‘click’.
Here’s the list of keyboard shortcuts – for the default ‘team site’ home page :
- / – Site Actions Menu
- S – Search this site – can just start typing in the Search box
- W – Security (login) dropdown
- W – Shared Documents – can tab between these items – ie. ALT+W twice
- X – Skip to main content (hidden link)
- Y – Skip Ribbon Commands
- 1 – Home (hyperlink)
- 6 – Help – the little blue question mark in top right of screen
- 3 – View All Site Content
As mentioned, much of the need for shortcut keys is when you haven’t got a mouse – but I’m sure it could be useful for some folk – I like the ALT+3, ENTER – to go to ‘View All Site Content’ – might have to try & use that !