Today was my session about jQuery and SharePoint – and all my demo’s worked – phew !
The main “take-aways” from the session were :
- jQuery + SharePoint work nicely together – it’s all comes down to HTML in the end…!
- Easy to create animations WITHOUT needing Flash, Silverlight – or HTML5
- Use DVWP – and external XSLT – to construct the HTML you want
- NB. This is a great way to display/layout data – regardless of whether you use jQuery or not !
The main steps from the slides were :
- Upload the files to SharePoint (JS, CSS)
- Include a script reference to use it
- Add a DataViewWebPart – to a list (eg. Announcements, Product List)
- Configure the XSLT to get the HTML you need/want
The session today showed three main demos – which I’ll blog about ‘separately’ :
- SharePoint Announcements list – Accordian
- SharePoint Image list – Image Rotator (photos of bikes/mountain bikes)
- SharePoint Announcements list – News Rotator
I’ve uploaded the files from today’s session (to SkyDrive) :
- Slide Deck (PPTX) : 396 KB
- ZIP containing jQuery + scripts + XSLT : 109 kb
- Click here to go to the SkyDrive folder for these files…
If you were at SharePoint Saturday – let me know any comments/feedback.
And – keep an eye on my blog/twitter – for an in-depth run-down of each of the demo’s…