Recently, I had a customer that has an InfoPath + Nintex Workflow solution, with a Forms Library in SharePoint. Within the list, the “view” dropdown was showing “Merge Documents” and “Relink Documents”.
Aside from some confusion (“what do they do ?”) – the next question to me was “Can you get rid of them ?”
As a matter of curiosity, and to work out their purpose, I delved deeper :
- Merge Documents -> /Forms/Combine.aspx
- Relink Documents -> /Forms/repair.aspx
I checked the page HTML/JS (view source) – and the menu creation code has "showRepairView : true" – and "showMergeView : true"
They’re not actually VIEWS – re-link is used to fix documents for Content Types – and Merge will combine documents together. Anyway – how to remove them from the VIEW menu ??
Solution – Option 1
An MSDN article has the same question, and some of the proposed answers are :
- Change the DisplayName for the REPAIR.ASPX page (make it empty)
- Remove the REPAIR.ASPX page itself (eek !)
- Fiddle with the user options – ie. EDIT permissions
Another article at “All Things SharePoint” mentions :
- Open SharePoint Designer
- Rename REPAIR.ASPX and COMBINE.ASPX
Well – do either of these work ?? YES and NO. Not a good approach, and doesn’t actually help much.
Solution – Option 2
After a little more poking around, hoping to find an option inside SharePoint to “switch off” the links to RELINK and MERGE, I was wondering why they’re listed in the “view” dropdown.
Then, I began to think “maybe I could just delete the views” ??
- Download, install and fire-up SharePoint Manager
- If you have troubles, you can try SPx (SharePoint Explorer), which is SharePoint Manager using the Client Object Model (this is VERY handy – for any locked down environments)
NB. Screen shots are from SPx – but very similar…
- Connect to your site – using the “Connections” menu
- Expand the RootWeb node – and then Webs
- Find the Web you’re looking for – check within the Webs node (for sub-webs)
- Expand the Lists node
- Find the list you’re looking for – for my case it’s “OATR_Test1”
- Expand the Views node – and you’ll see the RELINK and MERGE entries
- Right-click – and select “DeleteObject” (these are methods via Reflection)
- Repeat for both MERGE and RELINK
- Can close out of SPx / SharePoint Manager
That’s all you need to do ! If you look at the site/library – you’ll see they’re GONE.
Hopefully this helps with your SharePoint environment – viva la SPx !!