Nintex Workflow – Error Converting Document (Conversion Job)

Within SharePoint 2010, it’s great to be able to convert a DOCX to PDF – or a bunch of other formats.

This uses the default “Word Automation Services” – which is a Service App as part of SharePoint 2010 (OOTB).

The Nintex Workflow action for “Convert Document” just needs a few parameters :

  • Source File + URL
  • File Type
  • Destination File + URL

clip_image002

However, I’ve been getting an error :

Error converting document. Conversion jobs did not complete. 1 jobs failed. 0 jobs cancelled.

An error has occurred in [WorkflowName].

Some digging about in the SharePoint Logs uncovered this gem :

Conversion jobs failed:  Input file: http://portal.dev.local/Shared%20Documents/TEST.docx; Conversion Id: 00000001-0001-1000-80a0-97d520f52b1d;

Error code: 6; Message: The file could not be downloaded from the input library due to a technical problem.  Please contact your system administrator.     (Build:23100)           

That’s not very helpful !!

BUT – there was another little tidbit – within the Event Viewer this time :

SQL Database ‘SP-Dev-PortalContent’ on SQL Server instance ‘SharePoint2010’ not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database “SP-Dev-PortalContent” requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user ‘DEVSP-Dev-Services’.

image

OOhhh – I think it’s a permissions problem.

When looking into SQL Server, it looks like the “Service Account” being used by the “Service App” didn’t have permission to the “Content DB”.

But – even after THAT – I’m getting another error :

There is a compatibility range mismatch between the Web server and database “SP-Dev-PortalContent”, and connections to the data have been blocked to due to this incompatibility.

This can happen when a content database has not been upgraded to be within the compatibility range of the Web server, or if the database has been upgraded to a higher level than the web server.

The Web server and the database must be upgraded to the same version and build level to return to compatibility range.

So – the next step was to grant “db_owner” permission

image

After doing that – I made sure to do an IISRESET – and then it would appear I’m “OK” with the permissions issue – and connecting to the Content DB.

I’m now getting a different error :

Error code: 65543; Message: The file could not be converted; it may be corrupt or otherwise invalid (the conversion process failed).

Please try opening the file in Microsoft Word, resaving it, and then resubmitting the file for conversion.

If this does not resolve the issue, contact your system administrator.

It would appear that there’s a regression issue/problem – after SP1 in SharePoint 2010 – which reset the “Word Automation Services” to run in SANDBOX mode.

There’s a great article on the connect.nintex.com site – explaining the steps required.

I made sure to run the following PowerShell commands :

$sp = Get-SPServiceApplication | where {$_.TypeName.Equals(“Word Automation Services”)} 

$sp.DisableSandbox = $true

$sp.Update()

And – that seemed to FIX the problem – after yet another IISRESET – finally !

** Thanks to Chris Buchanan for the final tip about another IISRESET.

Thanks a LOT SharePoint – doh !!

🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s